www.flickr.com/photos/sarab_13 ALL MY PHOTOS!! Cool site on Benin to check out: http://benintourisme.com
THE CONTENTS OF THIS WEBSITE ARE MINE PERSONALLY AND DO NOT REFLECT ANY POSITION OF THE U.S. GOVERNMENT OR THE PEACE CORPS

Sunday, October 08, 2006

My other host brother In’tisor


Here he is writing out my nightly French lesson in my room by candlelight. He is quite disciplined in his teaching; even better at bargaining at the market. He did his thing for almost an hour to get me a good price on a SW radio, not taking any crap from anyone! I was so proud of him standing tough for me with the big vendors!
His father is a traditional healer and very respected in the community. They are animists and one time I was allowed to view their fetish - was that ever interesting!
FYI: Voodoo originated here, and I plan on hitting many voodoo festivals in the following years

4 Comments:

Blogger Professor Steffen Schmidt said...

This is a great picture and also so interesting - animist and vodoo (this where Brazil and Cuba got their Santeria religion then!).

Ahhh yes bargaining at the market! In ALtin America we also do that and it is an art for sure. Well we are learning a lot from your blog about Africa. Thanks!

Sun Oct 08, 04:56:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love this photo. I read up on Benin before you left, and I found a bunch of interesting things on Voodoo, I will be interested to hear more about these festivals and such. It is fascinating. I would be interested to hear more about your host father...as a traditional healer what exactly does he do etc.? Oh and your use of the word fetish...ummm...I don't know what to say... so I'll just say...ummm...use protection? haha No, but seriously, Can you put to rest or dismiss any myths about voodoo etc.?

love ya,

Melanie
xo

Sun Oct 08, 09:00:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sara - It's great to read your updates! It's so good to hear that you are doing well. I am anxious to hear your accent; like your mom said, how will that mix w/ your eastern European accent? ;) haha.
Coaching basketball and handball sounds awesome! I am sure you will love it. Once you are back, you can start teaching me French, you'll be an expert by then.
Things are good here. My little brother is about halfway through basic training now (in Fort Leonard Wood, Missouri). The rest of the family & Ben are all good. :) Work is busy, but going very well.
Keep up the updates!
Love ya! - Alicea

Mon Oct 09, 06:10:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Sara! I love your photos. You're going to teach all of us ignorant Americans about Benin-yeah for you! Everything is going well here in England, and Carlos says "hi". Miss you and take care!!!

Mon Oct 23, 08:19:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home