www.flickr.com/photos/sarab_13 ALL MY PHOTOS!! Cool site on Benin to check out: http://benintourisme.com
THE CONTENTS OF THIS WEBSITE ARE MINE PERSONALLY AND DO NOT REFLECT ANY POSITION OF THE U.S. GOVERNMENT OR THE PEACE CORPS

Friday, September 05, 2008

05.SEPT.2008

OK, so yesterday was officially my last day of being a Peace Corps volunteer! I have just finished an exhausting, stressful and emotional 3 days in Cotonou, finishing up medical clearances, final interviews, various paperwork and reports, packing, saying goodbye to friends, and preparing for my upcoming trip. It was of course difficult leaving Avrankou Tuesday, but every minute since, I have been so busy that I haven’t really even processed the departure 100%. Yet it’s inevitable that in the next few days when things start to slow down some, it will finally hit me.

The party for the grand opening of the orphanage went really well. We had a good turnout of Peace Corps staff and volunteers, local authorities and neighbors. It was held on Sunday, August 24, 2008, and lasted most of the day. The morning was the formal part which consisted of speeches and explanations of the project, traditional dances and songs performed by the orphans for our guests, a tour of the center and the serving of drinks and hors d’oeuvres. The rest of the day was dedicated to the kids enjoying themselves. Most of the VIPs left after the morning session, but some of the volunteers and I stayed on to organize the activities. It was a success; the kids had a blast! And they deserve it. We held a dance competition with the kids, volunteers, and local mamas. It was all traditional dancing, so it was hilarious for them to watch us dancing together! We had a crafts session were the kids were able to design their own party hats which turned out to be a lot of fun. They played soccer in the yard and/or various boards games, sang and ate together. We took group photos, gave out candy, gifts, and prizes. All in all, the day went really well. It was a lot of work organizing, and was a very tiring day for me, but it was so worth it and the kids had a truly memorable day.

Since my last posting, I tried to really enjoy my last few weeks at site. I spent quality time with local friends and children. Some of my best last memories will be of sharing a local meal with a little boy- eating with our hands and sharing the same plate, helping my little neighbor attach her wrap shirt in the Beninese fashion, playing soccer with young boys, and taking a two hour walk around town with my 15 month year old neighbor, Merveille, tied on my back, perfectly content. Ahhhh, goodbye dear Avrankou. Goodbye Benin. You have been good to me the past two years!

So, I have posted below over twenty photos of my last few wonderful weeks at post. I now go travel with a friend for three weeks to nearby countries Niger, Burkina Faso, Mali, Cote d’Ivoire, Ghana, and Togo. I’ll be home in the USA by the end of this month. This is the end of over.in.benin! It’s been an unforgettable journey. Have a great day everyone! Love, Sara

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

have fun in niger
http://www.niger1.com

Fri Sep 05, 03:43:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

be good and have fun! we'll be waiting with open arms here in the states!

Fri Sep 05, 07:30:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home