www.flickr.com/photos/sarab_13 ALL MY PHOTOS!! Cool site on Benin to check out: http://benintourisme.com
THE CONTENTS OF THIS WEBSITE ARE MINE PERSONALLY AND DO NOT REFLECT ANY POSITION OF THE U.S. GOVERNMENT OR THE PEACE CORPS

Thursday, November 09, 2006

More and more random observations

Do I do everything backwards?!
The Beninese surely must think so:

I’m gaining weight here when many people lose.

I have hardly ever been sick which definitely isn’t the norm.

Instead of taking repos, "national all-ages naptime" everyday from 12-3 pm like the rest of the country and probably many volunteers, I go to bed a little earlier and sleep later, 7 am- if I make it through with the roosters out front. I can’t remember if I ever mentioned that the country basically shuts down these hours to go home to sleep and cook lunch. Nice huh. So the work day is usually 9-Noon and 3-7 pm for those people with structured jobs and for schools as well.

Eating is what really gets people. Hardly anyone eats breakfast before 10 or 11 am. And most eat a thick, mostly carb, dinner at 9 or 10 pm right before bed. So when I eat at 5 or 6 pm people still getting to know me think it’s my lunch.

----------------------------
My first church experience in Benin was of course interesting but also pretty chill compared to other African services. But yeah, still totally different. I went with a few friends who are Jehovah's Witnesses. There are only about 15 members, and is held outside under a thatched roof. It is mostly in gun (goun) language, but some is in french. My kind friends kept pushing their bibles at me, while I pretended to be interested in the readings. Two hours of this and I was ready to go. Those who know me can imagine how restless I was. But it’s a tradeoff --it is more interesting obviously (general observations), but then you cannot understand much of what they are saying so it gets pretty boring. Even the french is spoken with such passion and complexity, and is just simply too rapid for me to keep up usually.

My market experiences have been positive so far. I have spoken on Cotonou- and Porto Novo is pretty much same thing. The other markets in smaller towns and villages rotate btw different towns in the area. So Avrankou’s market is every 5 days and pretty small. Probably the size of only two square city blocks. You can get most necessities there-- lots of fresh produce and fish and yes roasted goat meat, basic kitchen supplies and other staples, and some clothing items. I always take a friend with me until I get the prices memorized; as nice and fun as those marché mamas are, they still want the YOVO money. Thats me- yovo.

Weather - it is gradually heating up over here and is humid everyday, donc, I am constantly sweating and trying to avoid the sun if it’s out. A friend in Russia just informed me of the snow she is experiencing and I have to say I’m a bit jealous! I’m quite sure though that eventually I’ll get used to it. Oh, and someone asked if I’m getting a tan- yes, and as only sandals are worn, I have quite the nasty tan line on my feet!

I get bombarded by visitors since the volunteer I replaced knew everyone in community and therefore everyone knows where the house is. I get anywhere from 5-10 different visitors a day. I have to sometimes just give up trying to get anything done. But it's also, of course, a nice feeling knowing that so many people want to make sure I'm doing OK and occassionally help me prepare a traditional Beninese meal.

Wishing everyone a great day!
Love, Sara

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can relate to how bored you can get at a meeting where you can only glean a little bit of what's being said. I went to a meeting of Jehovah's Witnesses, in Spanish once, and can definitely relate. The iterature of Jehovah's Witnesses is published in over 400 languages, now. So if you let one of your Witness friends know which language you prefer, they can get some for you. If they must order it, it may take a while to come in. There are some small tracts that might suit you. They take only a few minutes apiece to read, and keep to one topic, such as "Life in a Peaceful New World","Will this World Survive?","Does Fate Rule our Lives?" There are a number of books designed with chapters that copy a Bible topic each, also. Or you can go to http://www.watchtower.org and research anything from the Bible that your heart desires. There's a "Search" feature. You can research "Hell" and why the Bible doesn't teach such a thing, "Angels" and what role they play in God's scheme of things, "Sex" and God's view of it. Anything that comes to mind, you can probably find there. You can email me with any questions, also, if you like. maureen123@cox.net

Thu Nov 09, 11:48:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sure that much of the reason that you get a steady stream of visitors is because the locals are as curious and interested in you as you are in them. For many of them, you are a link to the outside world and can offer them a wealth of information, especially to the younger ones. I would imagine that you get asked a lot of questions. It is good that many of your neighbors care about you and look out for you, because it would be very unpleasant for you if everyone treated you like an outsider. That daily nap thing sounds like something I could get use to, however it would make it terribly hard to accomplish much on this schedule, and eating dinner right before bed?? gives me heartburn just thinking about it. The Beninese people have a lifestyle completely different from those of us on the other side of the world. I know that when we hosted your Nigerian friends here, it was obvious that they had different habits, but they were mostly subtle and easy to accomodate. Take refuge from the sun as best you can and try to stay dry (more fatherly advice that I know you don't need) and if you really get hot, think of an Iowa winter. It was 75 degrees yesterday and is supposed to snow within the next few days here-only in Iowa. Take care and enjoy seeing the others up north. Love, dad

Thu Nov 09, 01:00:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow so are there other churches there too? Like native religion churches? a Catholic church (French and Portuguese colonial?).

Maybe you like the local food better than ze US and A "hambuerguer"!

In rural tropical areas it makes sense to break during hottest time of day. The sun is right overhead at noon. It's called "siesta" in South America. In Espain they also eat very, VERY late for dinner and late for lunch- 3 or 4 pm!

Thanks for the blog. I have hearnd from lot sof people who read it but don't necessarily post to it.

El Flaco

Wed Nov 22, 11:09:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home