www.flickr.com/photos/sarab_13 ALL MY PHOTOS!! Cool site on Benin to check out: http://benintourisme.com
THE CONTENTS OF THIS WEBSITE ARE MINE PERSONALLY AND DO NOT REFLECT ANY POSITION OF THE U.S. GOVERNMENT OR THE PEACE CORPS

Monday, April 02, 2007

work and chicken stuff

~~WORK STUFF~~

I talked with 20 young apprentices at Benito PHOTO VIDEO for a couple hours. The owner had approached me about giving a class in marketing. I agreed to come in, and Thursday I explained about myself, took questions, learned about their shop, and made a game plan. Which is gonna keep me busy. On top of everything else, I’ll begin quite a bit of work with them – four hours a week teaching marketing and two hours of English lessons and also maybe teach basic computer skills (what my NGO provides) if I can find some open computer time.
Friday morning I had my third accounting class with the women’s group in Sado. I usually catch a moto taxi, but I biked over there this time-- about thirty minutes, 4 km each way. The path is gorgeous and was exciting-- and luckily not too hot. I already wrote on this, but I have fifteen women and teach basic accounting using symbols. Under a tree. It’s beautiful. They have their babies with them. And as I become more and more comfortable, I realize I sort of like teaching.
On Friday the women were once again great; I had individuals come up to the posters and explain to the others. They had obviously done their homework. I am delighted when I consider how they remain so dedicated despite all of their other daily chores. I begin to feel lazy when I think about all the various, time consuming tasks they do each day in village.

~~CHICKEN STUFF~~

Yesterday I had basketball and then did two hours of laundry- which I am rather strangely beginning to love. Then, A CHICKEN STORY part I. Amadou and I finished a tutoring session which consisted of us joking around and him preparing me for what was to come after à he took me to the market, and when I laid eyes on the assortment of chickens all clumped together I about turned back. But I had to. I grabbed the rooster by the wings after we agreed on the price and I made it back with him like that – luckily he calmed down after the first minute. Then I began having fun in the yard, and even started to like him over the next few hours. I wish I could kill my neighbors’ chickens instead. Mine, on the other hand, is calm and handsome and of course, tied up, therefore I like it OK and is becoming a pet which I feed gari and water to. I am going to keep it a few days before ‘the attempt’ occurs. Anyway, I was late on this posting and wanted to get it up, so its part I only. In the meantime, I’ll be playing with him in the yard. I put some other photos on my flickr site. Wishing you a splendid day!

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

oh but i like your chicken...i say keep it as a pet! don't hurt it! i'm scared for the poor chicken!

also, i'm glad you are liking teaching.

Tue Apr 03, 12:17:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You would be a good teacher. Also here in the USA. As to le poulet. We never played or made frinds with the ones we ate in my country. It is easier to kill a strager chicken. Also, roosters make good watch dogs and great alarm clocks! LOL

Mon Apr 09, 04:13:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home