www.flickr.com/photos/sarab_13 ALL MY PHOTOS!! Cool site on Benin to check out: http://benintourisme.com
THE CONTENTS OF THIS WEBSITE ARE MINE PERSONALLY AND DO NOT REFLECT ANY POSITION OF THE U.S. GOVERNMENT OR THE PEACE CORPS

Friday, November 17, 2006

Parakou, Benin

So I just had a conference in Parakou, which is 8 hours north. For my sector it was just an early service check-in. T’was two days of travel, two days of local language training, and two days of workshops ranging from simple grant writing to sexual harassment in the workplace. It was kind of redundant at times from what we did in training. Yet of course it was well run and good to see everyone again.

Now it is season of Harmattan for the north: winds off the Sahara all the way down to the coast- although not felt much down here. Definitely felt it in Parakou; its HOT, sunny and dusty; then the nights are actually a bit chilly. Saw a couple of winter coats on locals. Moi, I was loving it every evening. Oh, and had AC in the rooms; first time in country. Why can’t I have that in Avrankou? ;-)

Anybody out there ever try bushrat? One would say it’s fairly big here; I was that close to buying some on the road on way back. I will regret not buying it the next time craving a steak at post!

So I am coming off this conference with so much newfound motivation. I had ideas before and was doing great with everything and the language; but now I have even more ideas and more possible ways to accomplish stuff. I am gaining the tools and information to hopefully get stuff off the ground-- from activities and classes with the artisans and women’s groups to other areas such as HIVAIDS; nutrition; coaching and youth development; language and simple technology; community discussion.

Admin is still saying to get in good at post and become as integrated as possible and estab strong relationships because without that it’s a lot harder to get things going in the community. Therefore it could still be months before real work and teaching in French and esp winning grants for bigger projects. But everything is coming together and I plan to spend the next month starting to coach; continuing with French and Goun, and really laying out the two year plan. There is so much to do here and I have so many ideas that aren’t possible to do in just two years. Everything takes SO long to get done over here (I’m talking everything work related and daily living in itself). You have to think strongly on the impact of your service. If you go all out with a massive project and something falls through; ce nest pas bon. Peace Corps isn’t about changing the world - small successful projects and touching peoples lives are my goals. Just being here and being an ambassador and showing people we care does more than we know. Officially, (a little late here on my site) the Peace Corps goals are:

1) Technical assistance training – actual work
Culture sharing:
2) USA
3) Benin

Peace Corps is a great thing. Maybe its because I’m listening to Enya on my friends computer (strangely, its only that or country music ;-)), so Im a bit sentimental, but I’m gonna keep with this. Now some of you have or are thinking about joining - I would highly encourage this. Like PC”s slogan- The toughest job you’ll ever love. Very true, and to branch off that - a lot of the tough part is the fact that loved ones back home cant really even imagine what its like. I just wish I could share this with you somehow better. To be living in Africa, wearing the native clothes, speaking a few words of the local language not just français- its just amazing. I think French tourists even think we are a little crazy!

All in all, my time here so far has been the most interesting, exciting and challenging time in my life-- exactly what I expected, wanted, and on some levels, needed!

Lots of love and Happy Thanksgiving!
Sara

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow this is the best ad I've seen for the Peace Corps! Maybe they will hire you after Benin as a trainer and recruiter!

It is amazing how much responsibility you have. Also how much education and training you must take. Like graduate school for sure! Only outside the normal classroom.

Bushrat is probably like Curie the So American critter that is good grilled or in soup. Just think of it as chicken with 4 legs! LOL

Wed Nov 22, 10:59:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home