www.flickr.com/photos/sarab_13 ALL MY PHOTOS!! Cool site on Benin to check out: http://benintourisme.com
THE CONTENTS OF THIS WEBSITE ARE MINE PERSONALLY AND DO NOT REFLECT ANY POSITION OF THE U.S. GOVERNMENT OR THE PEACE CORPS

Monday, November 27, 2006

27.11.2006

I hope everyone had a nice Thanksgiving. I was contemplating killing a chicken and having neighbors over for a big feast. Somehow that went by the wayside. :-) Ohhhh, it will happen sooner or later though!

I have been doing a little coaching with a basketball team (high school boys mostly) at the school. My first practice I got in there and was playing, refereeing; and coaching all at once. Not only that but half the school of 2000 students congregated around our little sand court to watch the white girl mix it up with the boys. Yes, exciting but also a bit overwhelming! It’s been going good so far but there is a lot of work to be done. The first few times were a wake up call to 1) get in shape and 2) improve on my French further. I get my point across but it’s not always pretty! Luckily, they are a great group of kids who are patient with me and really want to learn the sport. Another interesting challenge changing the manner of the game is the court is all sand. We play barefoot and its about impossible to dribble. I am exploring ways to get it paved, but might hold off a bit if I can get the school to do it in the near future anyway.

I am spoiled as I got used to having electricity almost every night and the past few weeks they have been cutting power pretty frequently (every other evening). It’s not so bad but does make sleeping difficult without the fan running. My neighbor usually sleeps outside as it’s much cooler than in the house. If it weren’t for the bugs I would probably do the same thing! Overall, I’m dealing with the heat - I found it necessary to go out with an umbrella when the sun is intense, I take lots of cold showers, and yes, I invested in a nice fan for the house. But I do often feel lethargic and not sure yet still if it’s the heat and humidity or just the change in lifestyle and having hardly any structure in my daily work.

So I have three people seriously considering visiting me over here which would be amazing. Don’t miss the chance of a lifetime: SARA'S EXCELLENT AFRICAN ADVENTURE! But sign up now, as space is limited!

Enjoy your day. Ciao. Sara.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh no please don't kill the chicken!!! :)

Tue Dec 12, 08:14:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home